Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I am starting a small home-based business and need a bookkeeper. Is it best to hire a part-time person or have them listed as an independent contractor? Do I complete a 1099?

Small Business
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Christopher Royer
There are pros and cons outside of taxes that you may also want to consider when making this decision. However, for taxes in general if you hire a part-time person they would be considered an employee and you would be subject to withholding and employment taxes. If the person is an independent contractor, withholding and employment taxes would not apply. In this scenario a 1099 would only need to be filed if the person is an independent contractor and if the payments for services performed are greater than $600. I recommend that you speak with a CPA regarding your specific situation for a more comprehensive explanation.
Leave a Comment 470 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today