Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I am moving to Australia permanently and have been told that the Australian Tax Office is going to tax me on my investments even though I still have to pay tax in US. Does this mean I am going to get taxed twice?

Double Taxation Australia
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
David McKeegan

Fortunately, the US has a tax treaty and a totalization agreement in place with Australia. With these in place, most instances of dual taxation are eliminated. However, depending obviously on the specific type of investments you have, dual taxation could still be possible.

In order to know for certain, I would recommend a more detailed chat with an expat specialist (such as Greenback Tax Services).

Also, this article gives a great overview of what you should know as an American living in Australia.

Hope this helps!

David McKeegan
Leave a Comment 409 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today