I am considering transfering a Simple IRA account to my son's 529 education account. Am I subject to the 10% penalty if all of the money is not spent at once?

Simple IRA
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
John Stancil
You can't do a rollover of the IRA into the 529. It would be treated as a distribution from the IRA and subject to income taxes, and possibly an early distribution penalty. In addition, you may be confronted with the contribution limits for the 529 plan.
Leave a Comment 206 weeks ago

User Photo
Question Owner
I understand that I would be subject to incomes tax on the distribution. Do I need to contact the IRS to determine if I am subject to the penalty?
Reply 206 weeks ago
User Photo
John Stancil
I would not contact the IRS, you are not likely to get a straight answer. Talk with your tax or financial advisor. The answer depends on your age and other issue. You may be able to avoid a penalty by withdrawing up to $10,000 and use that amount for education expenses.
Reply 206 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Clinton J Donnelly, LLM

International Tax Advisor

Panama City, Panama

User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today