I am an international student and have stayed at the same state in U.S. more than one year. Am I a resident of that state for tax purposes?

Should I file an full-resident form or others for my state income tax return?
International State Income Tax United States Residency
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Shirley (Suitao) Yang
As an International student, please note that the residency definition for tax purpose is different from the immigration law purpose. Under I.R.C. § 7701(b), IRS defines nonresident alien as neither a citizen of the United States nor a resident of the United States with special rules for first and last year of residency.

In light of the IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens, if you are currently under a F-1 or J-1 student visa and not meet the “green card” or the “substantial presence” test as described in publication. You are generally considered a non-resident during the first five calendar years in the United Sates for tax purpose. Therefore, although you were living in the state not less than 12 months a year, you will need to file a nonresident income tax form for your state. I do encourage you to check with your State Department of Revenue for specific tax fillings information.
Leave a Comment 186 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today