Ask Tax Question

I am a real estate agent in California. Should I file my taxes using a schedule C or create a corporation?

Real Estate Tax
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Gerald Nordland
If you file a Schedule C, all your profit will be subject to Self Employment taxes (which is really Social Security and Medicare taxes). If you expect to draw SS benefits, you must have 40 quarters of payment in order to qualify. If this isn't an issue, you can reduce the amount of SE tax by paying yourself a 'reasonable compensation' on which you pay SS and MC tax (in other words, you need a W-2), you don't have to pay SE taxes on the remaining profits of the S-corporation. Reasonable Compensation is what you would pay another to do the work you do. Be careful though, Sole Member LLCs are treated as 'disregarded entities' by the IRS and income is reported on Schedule C.
Leave a Comment 134 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today