Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

I am a full-time actress living in San Diego. Can I deduct my car mileage for trips to Los Angeles for acting classes and auditions?

Self-Employed Actor's Taxes
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Janine Overlie
Per pub 17 -- Standard mileage rate. Generally, if you claim a business deduction for work-related education and you drive your car to and from school, the amount you can deduct for miles driven from January 1, 2011, through June 30, 2011, is 51 cents per mile. The amount you can deduct for miles driven from July 1, 2011, through December 31, 2011, is 55 ½ cents per mile. This is up from 50 cents per mile in 2010. For more information, see Transportation Expenses under What Expenses Can Be Deducted. --
so yes you can
Leave a Comment 429 weeks ago

User Photo
Joel Jacobson
The cost of commuting is never deductible. The cost of acting classes would be a deduction.
Leave a Comment 429 weeks ago

User Photo
Kathryn Morgan
Oddly enough, yes you can, however, if you get the gig and drive back and forth daily that mileage becomes commuting and is no longer deductible. If you stay at the location overnight then you do.
Leave a Comment 429 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today