Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

How long can I stay in the U.S. and how much income can I earn in the U.S. before I have to pay U.S. taxes and file U.S. tax returns? How do I avoid double-taxation of the same income in two countries if I am a resident or citizen of a country outside the U.S.?

Expatriate Double Taxation US Income Inpatriate
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Chuck Heyde, CPA, CGMA
Hope you are still out there. I just got this question.

It is more a matter of how much income you earn than days spent in the US that generates the filing. (Albeit days are important.) If you earn more than your standard deduction and personal exemptions, you have a filing requirement. But non-residents do not get a standard deduction, so if you earn more than your personal exemption ($3,700 for 2011) then you would have a filing requirement in the US.

The way non-US residents avoid double taxation on their US return is by (1) claiming only US sourced income on their Non-Resident US tax returns, (2) claiming foreign tax credits for taxes paid to the non-US country when the non-US income must be claimed on the US return, and (3) if all else fails there is usually a tax treaty that helps drastically reduce the double taxation.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Chuck Heyde
Leave a Comment 439 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today