Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

How long can I be taxed in the US after I have left and moved to Canada?

Dual Citizen
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Jim Pemberton
As long as you maintain dual citizenship, you will have to file a US Tax return. You may not have to pay a US tax as there are foreign tax credits and foreign tax exclusions but you will have to file. You should consult someone knowledgeable in International taxation and/or familiarize yourself with IRS Pub 54 and 519.
Leave a Comment 426 weeks ago

User Photo
Darren Sanford
As long as you are a resident of the US and/or have income from US sources, you will need to file a US tax return. On Form 1040, there are certain exclusions of foreign earned income, as well as, foreign tax credits for taxes paid to the country other than the US.
Leave a Comment 426 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil



User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo John Richardson


Toronto, Canada

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

Rancho Santa Fe, CA

User Photo Monika Miles


San Jose, CA

User Photo Blake Christian

Tax Partner

Long Beach/ Park City, CA


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today