Ask Tax Question

How is the capital gains tax computed on an office building that was sold that was used to rent office space and was originally purchased via a 1031 exchange where the sale of the building was less than what was originally paid for it. The building was originally purchased from the proceeds of a land sale where the land was acquired as a gift.

My wife sold land that she had received from her father as a gift many years ago. A single person LLC was setup at the time (2004) and 2 office buildings were purchased from the proceeds of the sale. Then last year, 2012, she sold one of the buildings to one of the tenants. She originally purchased the building for $363,000 in 2004. We did improvements over the years, new carpet, painting, etc. Then in 2012 she sold the building for $325,000. She kept the money and did not reinvest it (no other 1031 purchase)- actually used to pay down other debt. None of the building was ever depreciated from 2004 to 2012.
Capital Gains Property 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
This is one of those questions that needs more questions and answers.
1. In the first part of the question it appears that she was renting out the 2 building as office space.
2. If this is the case the office building she was renting would of been reported on the Schedule E form. Typically a tax professional would report the "rents" from an office building complex on the Sch E form and the office building itself along with improvements would of been depreciated over 39 years. The sale of the building would be removing it from service and group sold with all of its components and improvements all the years. The depreciation calculated would be what was allowed or allowable and added back to the basis and gain or loss would be reported from the differences of the selling price.
3. If the property was held for investment the sale, the basis of the building would be the cost of the building and improvements. This would be reported on form 8949 and then transferred to schedule D to report the gain or loss. There also may be some selling expenses involved.
4. It would be best to seek help from a tax professional to prepare your tax return to assure it is completed properly.
Leave a Comment 237 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

User Photo Dr. Daniel Erasmus

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Managing Partner/EMEA

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today