Ask Tax Question

How do I determine the cost basis and then enter it correctly into my tax software program

I am having difficulty in figuring out how to enter the correct basis for my stock sale. I left my company in 2014 and exercised all remaining options. They were sold in two transactions on the same day, income tax was withheld and reported on my W2. I received a 1099-B form showing the details of the sale but the form does not list in box 4 the income tax that was taken. Since I have already been taxed on this, I'm trying to figure out how to enter the information correctly to avoid the double taxation. From what I can garner so far I think I think I have to change the cost basis (which would be different than what is reported in the 1099) and show a small loss that would reflect the commissions paid. For example, my 1099 shows the proceeds as $33,387 (basis is $26,921). My year end statement shows the tax withheld as $1,551 which is not on the 1099. The individual transaction documents also show the federal tax along with the FICA etc. I am using H&R Block software and it does not really help with figuring this out. Any help will be appreciated
Schedule-D Form 8949
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Daniel Bosler
Your situation is relatively common, and relatively commonly gives people fits! However it is not really that complicated. The gain from the exercise of your stock options was reported on your W2 and you had taxes withheld for the recognized income. The key is "the gain was recognized"--already. Your adjusted basis on your stock is therefore the same as the proceeds, and the gain is zero. My software has a place to report the costs of sale or other adjustments. You need to put the recognized gain (the amount necessary to bring the gain to zero) in this adjustment area to report the gain as zero. You may call me at 810-629-0845 if you have any other questions.
Leave a Comment 134 weeks ago

User Photo
Question Owner
Thanks for responding. I was able to figure the actual process (eventually) but it was not clear within the tax program on how to enter it. I did get it completed on time and avoided the additional taxation. Appreciate the follow up.
Reply 134 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

User Photo Dr. Daniel Erasmus

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Managing Partner/EMEA

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today