Help! I have an independent contractor that doesn't want his 1099 - What are the penalties for him and me if I don't issue it?

Form 1099 Independent Contractors
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Steven Potts JD EA
If you fail to file a correct information return (1099-MISC) by the due date and you cannot show reasonable cause, you may be subject to a penalty. The penalty applies if you fail to file timely, you fail to include all information required to be shown on a return, or you include incorrect information on a return. The penalty also applies if you file on paper when you were required to file electronically, you report an incorrect TIN or fail to report a TIN, or you fail to file paper forms that are machine readable.

The amount of the penalty is based on when you file the corrected information return. The penalty is:
$30 per information return if you correctly file within 30 days (by March 30th if the due date is February 28); the maximum penalty is $250,000 per year although it is only $75,000 per year if you meet the special definition of a small business.

$60 per information return if you correctly file more than 30 days after the due date but by August 1; the maximum penalty is $500,000 per year and $200,000 for a small business.

$100 per information return if you file after August 1 or you do not file the required information returns, maximum penalty is either $1,500,000 per year or $500,000 per year depending on whether you qualify as a small business.

There is no penalty to the contractor if you do not report the income on an information return but he is required to report all income, from whatever source, even if he does not get a 1099. He can be subject to penalties for under reporting of income.
Leave a Comment 313 weeks ago

User Photo
Kelly Estep
You need to report it on 1099 Misc, and submit it.....when he does his return if it doesn't match up to what IRS as report by you his return will be rejected and he then has to deal with IRS....Cover your own butt and get it reported and turned in...the IRS/ Soc Sec copy!! What Mr Potts, wrote is true about the fines.
Leave a Comment 313 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today