Hello. I have an LLC, it's an entertainment booking agency. Last year I booked a bunch of shows for my brother's band. W9s were required. The venues they played cut the checks in my name, I deposited them into my bank account and I cut checks to pay the band members.

I kept none of it, made $0.00 profit. Every dollar was paid out to the band. How do I report this on schedule C? Do I even have to report it?
Schedule C Losses
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Randy Tarpey
The 1099 miscellaneous form you will receive needs to report as gross income the checks from the venues to you. You need to issue 1099 miscellaneous forms to the band members by January 31, 2017 showing the check totals you paid to each band member. You can then report this amount as a deduction on Schedule C and your Schedule C income will be zero. It's important you follow these steps because the venues are already setting in motion with the IRS a process that could cost you a lot of tax or penalty if you don't properly file your taxes or required 1099's for tax year 2016.
Leave a Comment 73 weeks ago

User Photo
Question Owner
Thanks Randy. Appreciate the respons. I spoke with a CPA earlier this afternoon and he told me since each band member made less than $600 on the shows I don't need to send them a 1099. Do you agree?
Reply 73 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

New York, NY

User Photo John L Stancil

Tax Advisor/CEO

Lakeland, FL

User Photo John R Dundon, II EA

Tax Director

Denver, CO

User Photo Kevin Johnson MS, JD, LL.M, CPA


Philadelphia, PA

User Photo Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA

Managing Tax Consultant

Des Plaines, IL

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, CA


User Photo Clinton J Donnelly, LLM

International Tax Advisor

Panama City, Panama

User Photo Jim Marshall, EA

President/ Tax And Financial Advisor

Scottsdale, AZ

User Photo Brett A Thompson, JD, CPA

Managing Tax Lawyer

Katy, TX

User Photo Charles Woodson, EA

Tax Advisor/Fiduciary Coach

San Diego, CA

User Photo John Richardson

Tax Lawyer

Toronto, Canada

User Photo Clifford Benjamin

Senior Tax Principal

Daytona Beach, FL

User Photo Kazim Qasim, EA, CTC

Managing Tax Advisor/CEO

Orlando, FL


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today