Ask Tax Question

For US taxes, in practice, can one execute a Tax free exchange (1031) of rental residential property which is located outside the US?

1031 Tax Deferred Exchange
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Brian Weaver, CPA, MBA
No, foreign property is not like-kind to United States-based property which only includes the 50 states and the District of Columbia. (IRC §1031(h) and §7701(a)(9)). Also, property located in other U.S. Territories, such as Puerto Rico, is not like-kind to property located within the United State with a limited exception for Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands.
Leave a Comment 190 weeks ago

User Photo
Michael Atlas, CPA, CA
And, even if you could do it, it might not be a smart move anyway. Most taxable jurisdictions levy taxes on non-residents who realize gains from the sale of real estate within their borders, and they certainly would not recognize any tax-deferred exchange in the US. Hence, if you are going to pay foreign taxes in any event, better to be able to get a stepped-up basis for US tax purposes and be able to claim the foreign tax credit against the US taxes.
Reply 190 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director

User Photo Steven Potts JD EA IAR

Fullerton, California, USA


User Photo Caran Ebert, CPA

Topanga, California, USA

Tax Advisor

User Photo William Rogers, CFP, MBA, EA

Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA

CEO/Certified Financial Advisor

User Photo Randy Tarpey

Tyrone , Pennsylvania, USA


User Photo Lisa Nason CPA, MST

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Managing Shareholder

User Photo David Hughey, EA, MAcc

Longview, Washington, USA

Tax Consultant/Tax Advisor


Santa Clara, California, USA

Tax Principal - President

User Photo Hugo Van Zyl

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Exchange Control & Master Tax Practitioner (SA)

User Photo Douglas Stransky

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Tax Partner, International Tax

User Photo Chad Hatalla

Rheinfelden, Switzerland

Senior Tax Manager

User Photo Larry Stolberg, CPA, CA

Toronto Mississauga Oakville Burlington Hamilton, Canada

Tax Specialist

User Photo Dr. Daniel Erasmus

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Managing Partner/EMEA

View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today