Email Contact Us

Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

Can anyone tell me the taxes that will increase for small businesses on January 1, 2013?

closely-held corporation Small Business
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Patrick O'Hara , EA
The amount of tax increase for small business really depends on the business form. Small businesses that are pass through, such as sole proprietorship, partnerships, and s-corporations will see higher taxes due to the increase in individual tax rates.

Beginning in tax year 2013 (generally for tax returns filed in 2014), a new tax rate of 39.6 percent has been added for individuals whose income exceeds $400,000 ($450,000 for married taxpayers filing a joint return). The other marginal rates -- 10, 15, 25, 28, 33 and 35 percent — remain the same as in prior years. The guidance contains the taxable income thresholds for each of the marginal rates.

Self-Employment taxes increased by 2% when the payroll holiday sunset. There is also a 0.9% medicare tax for incomes over $250,000 for joint filers ($200,000 for single filers).

These increases in individual rates should be compared against the flatter corporate taxes and favorable dividend rates. Some small businesses may benefit my reorganizing as a C-Corporation.
Leave a Comment 515 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page

Contact Us Today