Access Leading Tax Experts And Technology
In Our Global Digital Marketplace

Please Type Topic Into Search Bar

As a newly ordained Minister, I need to get an education on clergy taxes. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to set up my ministry properly?

Clergy Tax
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
Abraham Itani, CPA
The ministerial duties you perform are important to the initial determination of whether you are a duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed minister and, thus, entitled to special tax treatment. Because religious disciplines vary in their formal procedures for these designations, whether you are a "duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed" depends on facts and circumstances. While this is generally easily determined, there are some situations where it is not so clear.

One of the issues the IRS will examine is the way in which you report your income. The determination of whether you are an employee or an independent contractor depends on certain established factors. How you are classified for income tax purposes affects how your expenses are treated. If you are a common law employee, you are limited to claiming trade or business expenses as an itemized deduction on Form 1040 Schedule A. Such expenses are subject to the 2 percent-of-adjusted-gross-income (AGI) limitation and are not deductible in computing alternative minimum tax.

As a minister, you are generally considered an employee. Your income, however, is considered self-employment income unless you've taken a vow of poverty or elected to be exempt from self-employment tax. If not, you should discuss with your CPA whether you meet the requirements to qualify for an exemption from self-employment tax.

Unless exempt, you are responsible for paying social security and Medicare taxes. Additionally, the payments you receive for services as a minister, unless statutorily exempt, are subject to income tax. Thus, you should be making estimated tax payments to avoid potential penalties for not paying enough tax as you earn income. An election is available to have income taxes withheld. If you do not already have such an election in place, we should discuss if this is appropriate for you.

Also, IRS focuses on with ministers is parsonage or housing allowances, which are exempt from income tax. However, the amount that is exempt is subject to limitations imposed by law and the exempt amount is subject to self employment tax. Because of the exemption from income tax for the "allowable" parsonage or housing allowance, business expenses must be allocated between taxable and non taxable income.

Other issues the IRS will examine are whether gifts given to you may actually be compensation for services and, thus, includible in income.

I hope that I have answered your question, please let me know if I can be of any help.

Abraham Itani, CPA
Leave a Comment 455 weeks ago


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today