Am I liable for long-term capital gains tax for foreign capital gains, even though the money didn't originate from U.S. and was never in USD?

I purchased four Universal Whole Life Insurance Policies 6-8 years ago in Korea, using the money I inherited from my Korean grandfather. Since then I became a U.S. citizen 4 years ago, and finally last year I canceled one of the policies, cashed out and convert & transferred to my bank in stateside.

Purchase Cost on 02/27/2009: 1,000,000,000 KRW
Cash Value at withdrawal on 07/31/2017: 1,385,823,908 KRW
Transfer from Korea to USAA Federal Savings Bank: 273,000.00 USD (Equivalent of 308,878,246 KRW. The rest is still in Korea.)

What's the tax implication on this situation? If the capital gains is realized when fund is converted from/ to USD, am I liable for capital gains tax on funds that were never in USD at all? If so, what exchange rate should I apply to calculate the capital gains?

Thank you!
International Tax Currency Exchange Capital Gains Tax
TaxConnections Members... Answer This Question Want To be One of Our Tax Experts? Register Here

Tax Professional Answers

User Photo
John Stancil
As a US citizen or resident, you owe taxes on your world wide income, regardless of source. The exchange rate that should be used is the prevailing rate in effect at the time the funds were received, paid, or accrued. Under some circumstances you may need to recognize a currency exchange gain or loss.
Leave a Comment 16 weeks ago

Meet Leading Tax Advisors

User Photo John Stancil

Lakeland, Florida, USA

Tax Advisor/CEO

User Photo Peter J. Scalise

New York, New York, USA

Federal Tax Credits & Incentives Practice Leader

User Photo John Dundon, II EA

Denver, Colorado, USA

Tax Director


View/Select our Current List of Tax Topics

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Previous PageNext Page



Learn from tax advisors, straight to your inbox

Update My Email Address
Contact Us Today